Poker: Facts and History for Beginners
Poker has only been around for a few centuries but it is one of the most popular games in the world. It is played by almost all cultures in all its different variants. It originated in the United States of America during the 19th century but only became really popular in the late 20th century.
Some Interesting Facts
Poker used to be played with only 20 cards instead of a whole deck. Only four players would play at a time and the bigger game with 52 cards only came about in the 1830s.
The World Series of Poker started in the 1970s. This is the world’s most famous and biggest poker tournament and it has made many people famous and rich. The poker pros who play this tournament are usually career poker players, but amateurs have entered and won.
Poker is played by more than 20% of the American population. Poker is truly American and it is by far one of the most popular games to play for fun and for money.
More interesting facts can be read here.
Different Variants of Poker
There isn’t only one type of poker. The most famous and most-played poker variant is Texas Hold’em. However, there are three different groups of poker variants.
- Community Card Poker – Texas Hold’em and Omaha Hold’em are the two most popular community card poker games. The basic idea of the game is that each player gets dealt an incomplete hand of cards that they need to complete with community cards on the table.
- Draw Poker – The most commonly played of this poker variant is Five-Card Draw Poker. In draw poker, each player is dealt a full hand of cards and then given the opportunity to improve that hand by replacing unwanted cards.
- Stud poker – Five Card Stud and Seven Card Stud are the most famous games of the stud poker variant. Each player receives both face-down and face-up cards from which they must build the best possible hand.
Learn more about the different variants of poker on Wikipedia.
Where Can You Play?
Poker was once only played in saloons and casino backrooms. Today, you can play poker anywhere. The three main places to play are:
- Land-based casinos. These casinos usually have several poker tables and they offer most of the different poker variants.
- Online Poker. Online poker can be played at online casinos which have different poker rooms. The rules for online poker remain the same, but there are usually added bonuses or jackpots.
- At home. You can buy poker sets with cards and chips from several stores. It is readily available and many people have taken to starting their own poker nights or poker parties. Money isn’t necessarily always involved in these games and the way of play is established by the people playing.
Visit our EVENTS page for more opportunities to play poker.
These are the very basics of poker. In our next post, we will discuss a few reasons why people should play poker. It is not just about the money, so keep an eye out for the next post.